In this video blog, I answer an important reader question that keeps many people up at night:
Why should I forgive someone who I know is never going to be sorry?
Forgiveness is not about the other person; it’s about you.
When you forgive someone, the person being forgiven does not have to:
- Ask for it
- Deserve it
- Be sorry for what they’ve done
- Even know you are forgiving them
Forgiveness is about you. It allows you to:
- Let go of anger
- Avoid bitterness
- Stop letting someone else’s actions affect your life
- “Forgiveness frees the forgiver”
Forgiveness is a decision; it is not an emotion.
- When you decide to forgive, however, your emotions will eventually follow
- You have been created with a will that is stronger than your emotions
Forgiveness is not the same as trust.
- You forgive people who steal from you, but you don’t have to continue doing business with them
I wrote about the principle of forgiveness in my book The Heart Mender
- This is my favorite book I have ever written
- You can find more about it here