In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by David Loy
On this week’s episode, we have renowned author Jerry Jenkins back with us for more laughs, and to compare notes with Andy on public speaking and how to deal with editors. He also gives us a preview of his latest book.
Andy is at the top of the public speaking game, but Jerry is also a sought-after public speaker.
- Jerry had always heard he should ask for an introduction that sets up what he’d be covering, and that mentioned he would be funny.
- Andy, in contrast, has learned that too big of an introduction before speaking gave the audience unrealistic expectations.
- “Under-promise and overproduce,” therefore, is one of many public speaking pointers Andy goes on to discuss.
Jerry is at the top of the writing game, but Andy is also a successful author and has some good questions for Jerry.
- Jerry’s asked how he comes up with endings, and the “Carol Burnett Show” “Saturday Night Live” approaches to ending sketches are debated.
- Jerry’s also asked if a 21-time New York Times bestselling author like himself still gets pushback from publishers on how to write (and how he deals with it when it does happen).
Jerry also addresses the interesting concept of why “nonfiction has to be unbelievable and fiction has to be believable.”
- Andy and Jerry both rely on detailed research to provide credibility for their stories and characters.
- Andy discusses his approach to writing about pivotal figures in history who are still obscure enough that most people have never heard their stories.
- Jerry, in turn, mentions the fun he’s had grilling experts about the future and getting to dream up things that sound like science fiction but will actually be reality soon.
Tune in to the full episode to hear Jerry’s synopsis of his brand new novel, Empire’s End, and to find out what he’s been doing at JerryJenkins.com that’s breaking down barriers for aspiring authors.
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- E-Mail: [email protected]