In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by David Loy
On this week’s episode, I respond to a listener question about handshake etiquette for girls.
I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong,” but I do think there is a “best.”
There are a couple of schools of thought here:
- One is the old-school “debutant” school of thought:
- Women go to college to find a husband.
- Everything a woman does should be geared toward a wife and homemaker.
- I don’t know if there is anything more important than that, but there are definitely other things that may be equally important.
With the way our world works today, I don’t think a woman shaking hands should offend anyone.
- For the most part, professional women shake hands.
- What looks really strange, though, is when a woman doesn’t know what to do.
I’ve taught my boys that there are many people who will not expect a handshake from them because of their age.
- I see many surprised (and delighted) faces when by boys reach their hands out and say, “nice to meet you” to adults.
- To a huge degree, how you treat your wife or husband will create a baseline for your children’s expectations as they grow up.
I’ve elaborated on this topic in a free 4-video series I did on smart parenting. I’d love for you to get to watch it!
These short videos cover must-know information for parents. In seconds, they could change your kids’ lives forever.
Questions for Listeners
Do you have a question? Call in and your question might be featured on the show!
- Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
- E-Mail: [email protected]