Trust is the most critical element in a healthy marriage. In this video, I explain how to build it and how to restore it if it is broken.
The most important thing: don’t break that trust in the first place.
However, if trust has been broken, patience and an attention to detail is required.
- Trust must be restored, which will take a long time.
- Forgiveness is the first step to restoring a marriage.
- Trust, however, comes after forgiveness. Forgiveness does not instantly create trust. It must be built back up with patience and attention to detail.
- Patience has to keep you from saying things like, “When are you ever going to get over this?”
- You have to exhibit at least as much patience as they are exhibiting in trying to trust you again.
- Attention to detail means avoiding any appearance of crossing a line.
How is trust created and cemented before anything goes wrong?
- Attention to detail is important here too.
- You have to actively seek out ways to avoid giving your spouse reasons to doubt you.
- For example, when I travel to speak, I don’t ride in a car alone with a woman or go eat at a restaurant alone with a woman.
- Whether you think so or not, people are watching you.
You may think this is too much attention to detail.
I disagree—marriage is a cornerstone of your life. It affects everything you do. Attention to detail is essential.