Episode 57: Reading Habits and the Power of Books
Friday, October 19, 2012
In The Loop with Andy Andrews, hosted by Andy Traub.
Andy and AT discuss how to develop good reading habits and how they will change every aspect of your life for the better.
The role books have played in Andy's past, present, and future
- While living under a pier not long after his parents died, an old man names Jones introduced biographies to Andy
- Biographies became the basis for the rest of Andy's life and writing
- Andy then identified the 7 decisions/principles based off the 200+ biographies tha
What about people who don’t like to read or say they don’t have the time?
“I don't like to read”
- What does that have to do with anything?
- Are you expecting yourself to read?
- The point is not do you want to read; the point is—what do you want?
“I don't have time to read”
- Reading has to be a discipline that helps you get what you want out of life
- It is essential to discipline yourself to make time for it
- People who read make more money
- People who read have a lower divorce rate
- People who read have fewer problems with their children
- People who read get promoted at a faster rate
- People who read get hired at a higher paying rate
The best way to get yourself or your children to read:
- Find books that don't bore you
- Books of short stories
- Sports books or books about athletes
- Find something to read aloud to your family
- Find something you enjoy reading about
Questions for Listeners
- What do you do to find reading time?
o Phone: 1-800-726-ANDY
o E-Mail: InTheLoop@AndyAndrews.com